Beginning in mid-August and running through the first week of September, the STAR Summit is a mandatory 3 week immersive educational experience designed to help 6th and 7th graders discover themselves as students and as Jews, prepare for the rigors of a JLA curriculum, and connect deeply with their peers and mentors.
Weekly seminars, a speaker series, and experiential activities designed to teach students the skills necessary for effective ethical and transformational leadership.
A program embedded in the curriculum and focused on service learning designed to introduce students to areas of need in the community. Students will choose a service project each semester based on their personal interest.
An optional 9th period at the end of the school day dedicated to additional learning choices that will provide students with the opportunity to pursue study in an area of interest.
A student-led seminar held each Friday morning that encourages students to participate in robust discussions focused on local and global news while teaching them to think critically about how information is presented in various media outlets.
JLA has established a relationship with John Hopkins University in order to offer our students advanced college level courses while in middle school. Admission to the program is highly selective, and grades earned will be factored into the overall GPA.
• Heroes & Heroines
• Globetrotters: ::World Cultures & Geography
• Math 6::• Math 7::• Pre-Algebra (AoPS)::• Intro to Algebra (AoPS)
• GeoScience: Infinity & Beyond
• Rhythms of Jewish Life::• Shabbat: The Idea & Its::Practice::• From Birth to Death: The::Jewish Life Cycle
• Hoops::• Bailar::• Cobra Kai
• Botany Basics::• Coding 1::• FabLab: Designers & Makers::• Gameopoly:::Math Challenges
• Foundations in Drawing & ::Painting::• Creative Movement::• Acting & Set Design::• Groove Workshop: Intro to ::Instrumentation
• The Wisdom of Our::Fathers: Pirkei Avot::• The Geography of Israel::• Navigating the Bible
• Intro to Spoken Hebrew 1::• Spoken Hebrew 2
• Becoming a Bat Mitzvah::• Journalism: Intro to Print::• Journalism: Intro to ::Broadcasting::• Yearbook
• Becoming a Bat Mitzvah::• Parsha in Depth::• Creative Writing: Fiction::• Graphic Organization: ::Visible Thinking